Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Problem Meet Solution

First, if you are one of my players . . . scat! Reading my blog will just make your gaming less fun.

Okay, the cool thing about having your megadungeon be a huge cylindrical hole is you have this great accessibility. Players can go as deep as they can manage, especially as they become more powerful.

But . . . what about all that wasted space? The Maw is ~200' across. And at its great depth there is a lot of unused volume there. Seems like a waste.

Empty volume meet invisible tower. Ha ha. Isn't it perfect? I just thought of it today. Of course it is a thin graceful tower, so to watch birds flying or hirelings falling to their deaths you wouldn't notice it. But it is there.

So what features should an invisible tower have? I'm thinking lattice like terraces, so unsuspecting adventurers get a quick trip to the bottom of the Maw. But what else?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is devious and brilliant.

    Would everything in the tower remain invisible to those inside it, or can you see it once you're inside? Or do you see a illusion that partly corresponds to the actual tower and partly is a trap? The lattice ramparts could look like stone, for example.

    An invisible tower makes me think of pixies and fairies, or else a horrible thing from some other world, possibly brought in by a foolish wizard who is now...something else (I'm thinking of Clark Ashton Smith's story "the Double shadow").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is devious and brilliant.

    Would everything in the tower remain invisible to those inside it, or can you see it once you're inside? Or do you see a illusion that partly corresponds to the actual tower and partly is a trap? The lattice ramparts could look like stone, for example.

    An invisible tower makes me think of pixies and fairies, or else a horrible thing from some other world, possibly brought in by a foolish wizard who is now...something else (I'm thinking of Clark Ashton Smith's story "the Double shadow").

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I was thinking about the whole visible/invisible question. I think I decided it would be more interesting if everything was still invisible once you were inside it. Imagine walking around above the Grand Canyon.

    My conception of who built it is high elves. Or something similar anyway. I haven't had any demi-humans show up in my campaign at all so that will be pretty alien.

    And I have plenty of wizardly stuff planned for down below. An Ivory Tower and an artificial sun illuminating a forgotten world ;)

    ReplyDelete