Saturday, April 16, 2011

Welcome

Welcome, TYWKIWDBI readers.  I thought it was nice for Minnesotastan to allow readers to share their own blogs.  And I thought it would be a great opportunity to introduce someone outside of my regular community to some of the cool stuff going on with old school D&D these days.

I play a heavily houseruled Dungeons & Dragons game about once a week. A lot my ruminations here are about DIY gaming, houseruling aimed at streamlining play, and making the game my own.  If that sounds good to you, I've got a lot of tables, charts, and thoughts on design you can check out in my archives.

But an even better place to start might be to get yourself a set of rules so you can start DIY too.  If you remember D&D as looking like this:
You might try Swords & Wizardry.  You can download a free pdf of the rules here.

If what you remember looks more like this:
Labyrinth Lord might be a better fit.  You can download a free pdf of those rules here.

If you had a lot of experience playing with these:
You can find a good compilation of all three in something called OSRIC here.

If you'd like to read about other old roleplaying games you remember (Science Fiction, Super Hero, etc) or pulp fantasy Grognardia is a good site to check out and also a hub with a lot of links to our community.

Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. Might I suggest a picture of the AD&D Players Handbook and a link to OSRIC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see OSRIC as more of a reference document for someone with experience who wants to play 1e as written, than as a toolkit for DIY.

    I've added it, though, and readers can decide that for themselves I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've put up my first version of a Procedural Lockpicking Table. (Link: http://lunchingonlamias.blogspot.com/2011/04/procedural-lockpicking-table-10.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks C'nor, I'll take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete