Sunday, September 18, 2011

My first GMing Gig

I think the idea was that I would become the Top Secret Administrator because my two friends were running D&D and Traveller.  I didn't even own Top Secret, had to borrow it from one of them.

There were four(?) players.  We were at my friend's house. 
I remember a vague sense of not knowing what a game was supposed to look like.  I wasn't exactly steeped in James Bond movies.  But there was a module.  With a location.  It assumed a stealthy approach.  I remember reading it and rereading it with a bit of anxiety because I did know I would have to be prepared for whatever entrance they might attempt.  And I have a vague recollection of worrying about the locks, I probably wanted to be ready for when they tried to pick a lock to gain entrance.

The first thing the PCs did was ram their van full speed into the front door.

I was filled with dread.  I had no idea what to do.  I awkwardly said something along the lines of "this is boring, let's go outside."  They wanted to keep playing but I was insistent.  "Nah, I don't feel like playing this right now." 

I don't think I even tried to run a game for another 10 years.

2 comments:

  1. It reminds me of a time when I was DMing a Cyberpunk 2020 game at the age of about 13; for some reason I thought up a Lassie-esque scenario in which a dog would come up to the players and attract their attention and get them to follow it. As soon as I dreamed it up I realised it was the worst idea ever but it was too late - I'd spoken the words. After about five minutes I said, "Let's forget about the dog thing!" and started all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you started over again. Maybe a flipper-esque, talking dolphin scenario would have worked better ;) Thanks for sharing, sir.

    ReplyDelete