Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Indiana Jones & the Module of Doom

I bought my brother the Indiana Jones rpg one Christmas.  It either came with the Temple of Doom module in the boxed set or I bought that too.

We never played it, but I spent some time reading through the game and that module.  Even then I was boggled by that module.  It was exactly.  The same.  As the movie.  Scene for scene.  Let me get this straight, you watch a movie and like it so much that you want to play through the same exact movie.  Except, there will be no tension because you know everything that's coming.  The only tension is whether Indie dies in your version rather than making it through.  There must have been enormous pressure on people who did play it to fudge rolls: "No, he can't miss.  He totally sends the big guard into the crusher!"

5 comments:

  1. Hah. Natural twenty! Evil priest rips Indie's heart out! I hate movie theme video games for this exact same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IIRC Indy couldn't die. That blew my mind right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So ... the sequence with the coal car chase is literally and figuratively a railroad? Is there any option of taking one of the other tracks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Playing as Indy" is an odd concept to begin with, as I can't imagine anyone actually accepting the idea that he might die during an adventure. Indy, by definition, always lives through his adventures! Even though the default game didn't really cover character creation, we made up our own PCs for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I talked to my brother about looking at the module and apparently its packed away somewhere so I can't get any more specific than my fuzzy memories. I'll see if I can hunt it down though.

    ReplyDelete