Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Streamlined Swords & Wizardry

Here is what I have so far towards streamlining the novice Swords & Wizardry experience. I offered these as Open Office files before, but realize now, people may find them more convenient as pdfs. So, here they are newly minted as pdfs and titled more specifically so you won't lose them in your many computer folders:

Telecanter's:
Again, I've only edited and synthesised the work of others here. To learn about the construction of the starting equipment list read this post, and to realise why the weights for the weapons list are in stones see here.

  • So, what else do I need?I have been digesting ~five different NPC/Hireling generators and may need to finally boil that down.
  • I still plan on producing a one page summary of the three primary character classes.
  • Still trying to decide how much, if anything players need to know about my world (gods, governments, languages, etc.) in order to situate themselves for play.
  • Introductory Dungeon, and I mean for novices-- a kind of preview version of the Dungeon Alphabet to give them some of that Old School Flavor!
That's it for now. If you have any suggestions, or experiences you want to offer up about novice play, please let me know.

Update: I added an acknowledgement to the Streamlined Equipment list because it wasn't my great idea, I just edited it down and tried to simplify it for novices. So thanks to Thoth Amon from the Swords & Wizardry forums for the idea and to Lord Kilgore for bringing it to my attention.

2 comments:

  1. Standard Starting Equipment has gone straight to the printer for Friday's game cheers! Hopefully the first of several White Box megadungeonbashes.

    P.S. Using your Coastal Caves in said megadungeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowser, that's great! Thanks for letting me know, and may your players' characters all get wet in those caves :)

    ReplyDelete