- A library or lab, the player can't bring anything through their link, but they can certainly learn things-- consult books and maps, try experiments with rare and dangerous equipment.
- Have them interact with people, hulking construct stalking through a bustling city looking for certain sages to consult or crime bosses to interrogate.
- Give the construct hit points and damage capabilities for more action oriented stuff to allow the character to live beyond their means for a bit-- take out the crime boss' bouncers.
- A completely alien civilization. Does the player investigate or go Godzilla smashing everything in sight?
- You could make the construct of epic proportions! Anyone remember that Basic module called Earthshaker? I never played that but loved reading it over.
- Or tiny like Fantastic voyage.
- Make the construct an earthmover of some sort, the player can terraform this distant location to their liking and if they can find it later it's all set up for a tower/guild/fortress.
- Warmachine-- the battle's already raging, lay waste to the enemies! Wait which side are you on?
- exploratory probe, it is a cave system, planetary/asteroid belt, weird plane. Explore it now while safe and find the juicy bits for exploitation later.
- A city of ancient magic users so corrupted that mages only visit it through constructs and familiars. Constructs battles constructs for glowing relics.
Monday, February 13, 2012
The Avatar of My Avatar
Have just one player for the night? Are they a weaky, low level M-U or thief? Have them find a crystal ball, viewing pool, or affixed goggles of some sort. Looking through it they realize they are looking through the eyes of some sort of construct. Where is it this construct located? Some distant land of the same world? A different plane? Who knows, but they can move this construct around and operate it. Give them a time limit (rising water, growing heat in their actual location) and see what they do. Here are some ideas for locations: