Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hexagonal Geomorph

I haven't been making as much progress as I wanted to.  Some bad news: somebody broke into my car and inexplicably stole my little screenprinting screen I made 2 years ago.  I was planning on making 2 bigger new screens anyway, but it would have been nice to have it to do little stuff and test things with.

Some good news: I just got three new ink colors in the mail yesterday.  Now I've got black and all 4 browns the company offers.

I have been trying to re-learn what I knew about Inkscape 2 years ago.  Spent several hours today.  Here is an idea of what I'm shooting for:
The grays will be a light brown, the blacks a dark brown, printed on canvas.  The game boardy spaces are meant to simplify movement for solo play.  I'm thinking 5' per space and per inch.  That would mean a 60' light source would just show you the tile-length as you enter it.

My question for you: do you like the way the walls look?  (I fractalized the lines and then distorted the result with "torn edge") I wonder if I should add some hatching.  I'm not really an artist and working with Inkscape is difficult for me, but I am determined to forge ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of the theft.

    I had the same thing happen to me years ago, and always wondered if the thieves who had stolen my screens mistakenly thought they were some kind of framed pieces of modernist art. Weird.


    Not really a fan of the walls... too 'woodsy'* or organic at full-size for me.

    Maybe if the 'rock' was filled with a solid grey colour? As just a line, I think it needs to be something bolder, to imply or imbue more solid stone 'wallness' to me.


    *This could also be my bias for Hex = Wilderness coming through, not sure though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The walls look okay to me - is there a way of making them thicker?
    I was playing with a request set by an online friend - he was using hex maps for dungeons, and they leant themselves really well to caverns, but you really needed the extra squiggles to get away from the honeycomb look (much like with coastal details). The walls in his game idea followed the edges of the hex - I was struggling to add a 3D effect - which can be very different than on a square grid.
    Your junction there proves the idea that hexes are better than square grids for caverns - it looks plausible whilst still being able to tessellate. Nice one.

    Sorry to hear about the theft, sounds pretty grim, especially when it's something you've had to build for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame about the break-in and thievery. Hope you were insured.

    The geomorph looks nice--perhaps filling in the solid sections might be useful. Like Billiam above noted making the walls a bit thicker might be a good idea as well.

    The underlying grid looks intriguing. This could be the start of a very interesting set of geomorphs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all. I appreciate you taking the time to give feedback. I'll post a new tile with thicker walls and a gradient.

    Yeah, my car is pretty much public property around here; stolen three times in the last two years. I just have to remember not to leave anything important in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weren't you keeping a tally at one point for how often your car got molested?
    I'm loving this geomorph series, and the idea for the solo game you're developing with it. Hoping it works out for you. And I've got no problem with the way the walls look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, yeah ze Bulette had a counter "Days Since Telecanter's Car was stolen" for a while.

    And thank you, I hope you'll find it of use to generate some catacombs too.

    ReplyDelete