Thursday, February 25, 2010

Categories

If you are crafting your own more abstracted, old school chart you will probably come to the point where you are racking your brain for the categories of a person/place/thing to include in said chart. In thinking about my item chart I decided to make a list of general categories. So, from Aristotle's Categories, the Praedicamenta:
  • Substance
  • Quantity
  • Quality
  • Relation
  • Place
  • Time
  • Position
  • State (shod, armed, etc.)
  • Action
  • Affection (actually affected by, affected in some way)
And because those were even a little more abstracted than is useful, I turned to the adjectival order in English. (Did you know English has a fairly standard order that the adjectives in a sentence appear? I actually didn't until I started teaching foreign language speakers.):
  • Opinion/Judgement
  • Dimension (size, length, width)
  • Age
  • Shape
  • Color
  • Origin
  • Material
  • Purpose
  • Appearance/Condition
Hopefully that's helpful. If it isn't new to you it will still be nice to save this here for myself; I'm finding that on reading my old posts I have interesting ideas that I've completely forgotten about!

2 comments: